Sunday, March 22, 2020

Corned Beef Crusted Quiche



With a large family, so much of our income goes to groceries, so it's important not to waste food.  (It's important, regardless of family size!). This morning, I made a breakfast of eggs, toast, bacon, Obrien potatoes, and corned beef hash.  As the table was cleared, there was a little bit of food left an , as I looked at, I decided to grab a few more leftovers from the fridge and craft a breakfast - for - dinner favorite: quiche!  Serve this for any meal of the day and it will soon become a "leftover" your family begs for!


I had about half a cup each of potatoes and corned beef hash leftover, which I combined and mashed into a 9"pie plate.

In addition to the 2 slices of bacon I had leftover, I grabbed from the fridge: 1" wedge of red onion , half a small bell pepper, 1/3 of a large tomato, and half a bag of shredded cheese (the one I had was a 6 cheese, Italian blend).

I diced the veg and bacon, then tossed all those leftovers (with the cheese) in with 3 eggs, 3/4 cup of half and half  , and salt & pepper (3 turns of the grinder each) that I had whisked together.  I poured the prepared mixture into my pie shell and put it in the oven at 350°F for 55 min.



I often precook quiche, then freeze it.  You can either pop it in the oven frozen for an hour or so (covered in foil), or defrost in the fridge and reheat until your level of hot is achieved.  Peter bought me several Hot Logic products years ago, including the MacroWave for mass reheating, and I tend to defrost, then stick fully cooked things like quiche and eggplant or chicken parm, in the HL for a few hours.  I love them and use them all the time.  It's also how Peter reheats his lunches at work.


Recipe : all measurements appropriate.

For the crust:
1/2 cup of Obrien potatoes
1/2 cup of corned beef hash

For the filling:
3 eggs
3/4 cup of half & half
1/4 cup of diced bacon
1/4 cup of diced red onion
3/8 cup of diced bell pepper
3/4 cup of diced tomato
1 cup of shredded cheese
salt & pepper to taste

Temp and Time: 350° F for 55 minutes

0 comments:

Post a Comment